Re: connect to db with php?

1. Correct on all points, I just wasn't aware of it. Now connecting ok. Doing
everything  locally, at least for now.
2. It seems I can use "", "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" with equal success.
3. Yes, I did, and received similar and varied help, all of which helped me to
understand what's going on (or not).

thanks a lot
David

 El Domingo 22 Junio 2003 12:05, Doug Thompson escribió:
> 1. The default user table sets up root with no password.  Leave out the
> password and it will probably connect OK.  You really need to fix the user
> table, but as long as the system isn't accessible from outside, you can get
> by.
>
> 2.  You don't need to use "host", in this case 127.0.0.1, when connecting
> from the same machine.  It doesn't hurt, but it may add confusion at some
> future point in your troubleshooting.
>
> 3.  All of this is really mysql specific and you would do better using that
> list, too.
>
> Doug
>
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:45:12 +1000, David wrote:
> >Warning - beginner  :-)  I'm new at Linux, php and mysql, so please go
> > slowly.
> >
> >I have a test database with a couple of tables, etc., that I can connect
> > to and run simple queries against, etc., all from the command line. I do
> > most things as root, probably because I didn't set it up right and
> > haven't fixed it.
> >
> >I'm trying to put together a simple php script to connect to the database
> > and learn about both at the same time. At the moment I have something
> > like this:
> >
> ><?php
> >$conn = mysql_connect("127.0.0.1","root","password","databasename");
> >if (!$conn) die ("Could not connect");
> >blah blah
> >?>
> >
> >which gives this result:
> >Warning: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost.localdomain' (Using
> > password: YES) in /var/www/html/php/script1.php on line 9
> > (line 9 is the $conn line, above)
> >
> >I've tried a few variations but I'm not sure where to go from here.
> >Can anyone help out?
> >thanks
> >David
> >
> >--
> >

> >The arm folds in at the elbow, not out
> >

> >--

``I'm not ashamed.  Its the computer age.  Nerds are in.'' - Willow (BtVS)