Re: Renaming all pages to .php

I've heard of a Apache server setting or update that makes for example:

.com/shoes.html returns page /index.php?site=shoes
or
.com/shoes.html returns page /shoes.php

Just like you have virtual folders you can have wildcard serach and replaced virtual file names.
I believe this would solve your problem below and knowing this would make my PHP driven site
appear to be a collection of html pages.

Does anyone know how to do this or what it is called so I can research it?
-Steve