time without seconds

If I have a time stored in MySQL, and I only need the hour and minutes without seconds:

1) Can I crop this in PHP after retrieving it?

2) Is there a way to store this without the seconds in MySQL?

Same goes for storing a date without the year. I could use a regular char field, but I want to be able to retrieve a row that corresponds to the current month and day, currently I am doing this with

$month = date("n");
$day = date("d");
$query = "SELECT ... WHERE MONTH(date) = $month AND DAYOFMONTH = $day";

Is there a better way to do this without storing unnecessary data?

Thanks,

-Lisi