sqlconnect garbage while connecting with db2

Hi, I don't read this often so please reply to my email:
rob@vendorpromotions.com

I'm using PHP 4.3.1 with DB2 8.1 on RedHat 8.0.  I compiled against DB2
fine, with no problems.  I connect using db2 with no problems - the 'test'
database is perfectly catalogued.

However when I try to run the below page I get this error back in response:

Warning: SQL error: 5¥B¤6-ATR, SQL state dÓÿ¿þÿ in SQLConnect in
/home/mhill/vendorpro_staging_area/testing/db2_connect_test.php on line 3
no connect

or basically a bunch of garbage.  I note that someone in V6.1 got it to work
by installing db2 connect, however that's /already/ installed.

If I keep running the test it changes the garbage only slightly, and after a
while it just gives this:

Warning: SQL error: [IBM][CLI Driver] SQLSTATE=58004, SQL state 58004 in
SQLConnect in
/home/mhill/vendorpro_staging_area/testing/db2_connect_test.php on line 3
no connect

I'm at a loss here.  Obviously this is some sort of serious linking or
protocol issue or something, but huh?  Maybe it's been fixed in 4.3.2, but
it's not in the change log if that's so.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  It does seem to occur
/somewhat/ regularly.  I haven't tried the IBM fixpacks yet, that will be
occurring shortly.  However I reports from someone I work with that this
still happens.

There are warnings of pointers being cast to integers during the compile.
Who's got db2 actually /working/?

<?php

$conn = odbc_connect("test", "db2", "pw");
if(!$conn) die("no connect");

$query = odbc_exec($conn, "select * from syscat.tables");
odbc_result_all($query);

?>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>