Adding MySQL support to PHP - libmysqlclient.so version problem

I need MySQL support from PHP to support the HORDE/IMP webmail
package.

I just installed RedHat 9, and this included PHP 4.2.2-17. According
to the PHP test.php page, MySQL support was configured:

--with-mysql=shared,/usr

However, later in the test.php page, there is no section on MySQL. (Furthermore, the HORDE test.php says that PHP does not have
MySQL support.)

The MySQL version I'm using is 4.0.13-0. I realized that I needed
php-mysql. Installing that binary rpm:

libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by php-mysql-4.2.2-17

So I got MySQL-shared_4.0.13-0, matching the version number of my other
MySQL RPMs. But that contains /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.12, not the .10
version.

How can I get mysql support in php? I'm hoping to avoid ripping out
mysql and php and building everything from source.

Jack Orenstein

-- This is not a disclaimer --