RE: php /mysql / viewing offline question

You'll want a webserver running and PHP configured for that server. You can
easily use IIS or Apache for this purpose. Which one you want to use is
something that many people will argue over, but the simple fact is that
you're doing some offline development and you should use what's easiest for
you.

Once you get your webserver up and running and PHP configured, just create a
site that points to your document root and then open a browser to
http://localhost/ - assuming everything's configured properly and you've
moved over all the data that you need, you'll then have a viable offline
staging server to developed on.

I have an XP box with PHP, mySQL and IIS and I've not run into any problems
at all. When I've completed my changes I just FTP everything to my live site
with no hassles.

-M