Re: hiding db password

I place all my access info in it's own directory that is not directly accessible via the web. I usually place this on the same level as the CGI directory, which is also not directly accessible. Typically this is one level up from your site directory. If the php module breaks, then includes and requires won't work so your passwords won't be seen.
/path/to/site/
/path/to/accessfile/
/path/to/cgi/

You do have to specify the directory as an "include_path" for php.