Query loop issues.

I'm having a problem with looping a query here is the skeleton of the code:

$query_result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM Boats WHERE Serial='$serial' OR Make='$make'")
if(mysql_num_rows($query_result) > 1)
{
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($query_result, MYSQL_NUM))
{
}
}
else
{
}

This works. The code in the while loop and the code in the else statement are identical. However, if I just have the while loop without any if statement and try a query with only one resulting row the system goes into an infinite loop. I really don't see anything wrong with the logic so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew.