RE: connection pooling

Did you read the manual page?
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-pconnect.php

[quote]First, when connecting, the function would first try to find a
(persistent) link that's already open with the same host, username and
password. If one is found, an identifier for it will be returned instead of
opening a new connection. [/quote]

In practice it might not act like that though, it depends on your server set
up.