Resource id ... what is this?

Dear Group,

I am trying to do a simple HTML/PHP database query against a MySql database.
When I run the query in the monitor and in PHPMyAdmin .... I get exactly the
response I am looking for. When I run in through Apache1.3+/PHP4+ on Windows
2000, I get a response "Resource id #" with the number 3 or 11 or whatever
against the #. My calls pass all my tests ..... The connection to the
database is OK ... the password, table, localhost, user etc etc tests are
all OK, but all I get back is this string "Resource id #3" or whatever
number. I have tried rewriting the code many times following many textbook
suggestions ... but still the same result.

Anybody got any ideas where I am going wrong.

Thanks
Ken