Re: Re: MSQL OR ODBC

This is true for the Win32 version of the mssql ext, which uses the
unsupported DB-Library.  On Linux, the mssql ext (it is actually the
sybase ext) use FreeTDS.  However, you should use FreeTDS version 0.61.

Unfortunately all of these solutions have issues that may or may not
give you problems.  For example, only the DB-Library mssql ext supports
stored procedures, but you cannot use it to read real, ntext or
varchar(>255) data fields. The FreeTDS mssql ext returns NULL data as
empty strings, and cannot read uniqueidentifier and sql_variant data
fields. While the odbc ext's function set is the same on all platforms,
this is not hhe case for the mssql ext.  The DB-Library and FreeTDS mssql
ext's are not completely compatible. The odbc ext on Linux requires you
to install an ODBC driver manager and an ODBC driver for MS SQL Server.
Since Microsoft does not make such software for Linux, you will have to
acquire a third party open source or commercial solution.

On Linux I would use mssql, and on Windows the choice depends on the type
of data you need to access. In regards to the latter, you probably should
use IIS/.NET for this purpose and not PHP.

-- bob