external file content

hey ya'll

this may seem like a simple thing to do but i'm just a newbie to PHP.
here goes.

i've got and external life "/my/path/report.txt"
the content of this file is arranged as

id1|fname|lname|address|country|post_code
id2|fname|lname|address|country|post_code
id3|fname|lname|address|country|post_code
id4|fname|lname|address|country|post_code
id5|fname|lname|address|country|post_code
id6|fname|lname|address|country|post_code
id7|fname|lname|address|country|post_code

i would like to be able to read through the file and extract each line to be places in a table.
eg.

|  fname lname      | fname lname         | fname lname        |
|  address             | address                | address                |
|  country              | country                | country                 |
|  post_code          | post_code            | post_code            |
|  fname lname      | fname lname         | fname lname        |
|  address             | address                | address                |
|  country              | country                | country                 |
|  post_code          | post_code            | post_code            |

any pointers in accomplishing such a task.

Thanks in advance.