Re: linking mysql tables

OK - here's the break.

1. You have to play with this stuff a bit -- download and install MySQL on your local machine and play with it until you're comfortable.

2. Get a copy of phpMyAdmin, ftp it to your server and install it. It allows you to execute SQL statements on the host.

3. If you're not at all familiar with SQL, there are some really great tutorials and examples. Julie Meloni has some excellent ones at www.thickbook.com; there are others at DevShed / WebMonkey / Zend, etc.

4. As far as the results of a JOIN are concerned, within the context of a normality, there are subtle differences between say LEFT ... INNER and LEFT ... OUTER in terms of what gets included. This is why (1.) is so important.

5. Learning JOIN syntax is probably the best route to follow, but WHERE clauses will also do the trick.

HTH - Miles Thompson

PS 6. There are some very good SQL sites out there as well. Check out anything by Joe Celko, keeping in mind that MySQL doesn't have subqueries. /mt

PPS 7. The question really is one for a MySQL list. <g>/mt