search mysql

I have a search form containing multiple criteria that the user can choose
to search with. For example, the user can search by keywoords, gender,
temple size, bridge size, etc., or ANY combination.

I'm using PHP/MySQL and having a problem writing the query to search the
proper columns in the table based on which fields or combination of fields
the user filled in on the search form.
Any help or pointers to tutorials would be appreciated.