If a query fails?

Hi there everyone,

Probably something so simple i'll collapse with embarressment, just like with my spelling :-)  But a quick question, when you perform an update or insert etc .... operation on a MySQL Database, how do you find out if it was successful or failed, so you can display the correct output?  Currently if I add to a DB, for example, it goes to a page saying it updated successfully but without any error trapping, so even if it DIDN'T do it successfully it would still go to the next page.

Thanks for your help :-)

Chris