Emulating Filemaker search on MySQL

Hi,

I am currently in the planning stage of a replacement of my Lasso/Filemaker
site.

I've tried out various bits of functionality to get it all to hang together.

I have a question about where I'll be able to bring one of Filemaker's
search tricks to MySQL and PHP.

If a user searches for: (unquoted) wash mem hosp, they would find any
records where Washington Memorial Hospital exists, but not washed out memory
(no 'hosp' found). I can tighten things up by doing an exact match/begins
with/ends with.

Can I do the same with PHP/MySQL without asking the user to put '*' into the
search string?

Cheers

George

===

George Pitcher
HERON Technical Manager
Ingenta plc
23-38 Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, OX1 2ET
T  +44 (0)1865 799051 direct
T  +44 (0)1865 799000 switchboard
F  +44 (0)1865 799134
E  george.pitcher@ingenta.com

www.ingenta.com
Ingenta: Empowering the exchange of academic and professional content
online.