Suppressing halt on warning

I'm attempting to configure a mysql connection so that a failover to a replication database server can occur. When I call mysql_connect and the connection fails, I would like to retry a new connection to the failover server, however the first failed connection halts with a warning. How can I suppress the halt so that PHP can continue to interpret the rest of my code?

Thanks in advance.

This message and any included attachments is from Pacific Health
Horizons and is intended for the sole use of the individual and
entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee or
authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are
hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or
distribute to anyone the message or any information contained
in the message.  If you have received this message in error,
please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete
the message.