Sorting Methods

Hello Programmers,

I'd like to get any ideas you might have on how to deal with sort order.
I'm creating a photo gallery and will use Php and Mysql.

In the past I have had a field called sortorder and filled it with a numeric value,
but this method seems somewhat rudimentary.  Is there a way, for example to
move a record in a table up one, down one, or to the end or beginning of the
table?  It seems that this method would work much better than trying reset all
of the sortorder values everytime I wanted to change the order in which the
pictures were displayed.

I would appreciate any and all ideas or suggestions, links to articles or online
resources.  Thank you,

Larentium
larentium@hosthive.com