Re: PHP Database Abstraction...

Hello,

On 04/25/2003 12:18 PM, Scott Winkle wrote:
I have thought about PEAR, AdoDB, dbx, etc, but my thinking is that might make it harder for the users (site admins) to develop their own database module as needed...

Has anyone had experience with doing this or can provide good feedback/opinions on what would work best?
The three options I am considering are: Custom Abstraction (Similiar to what I have done before, but fixed up a bit to support custom code), dbx, and PEAR. I have seen enough benchmarks to rule out AdoDB at this time.

Have you tried Metabase/MDB? It is the only one that comes with truly portable schema management.

http://www.phpclasses.org/metabase
http://pear.php.net/mdb

Over Metabase API, there is Metastorage which is a persistence layer that generates an API in the form of self-contained classes of objects that map to your database tables.

This really speeds up your development drastically because it generates adequate code for abstracting your application database entities so you can dedicate most of the time on the application business rules.

Next release due to be out soon will even generate automatic forms to provide a fully validate Web forms with customizable presentation skins.

http://www.meta-language.net/

http://www.meta-language.net/download.html

--

Regards,