Connect to MS Access mdb on Network

Hi,

I saw this questions or variations of it several times while researching the
archives; unfortunately, I haven't yet found a solution to my issue.

What is the simplest solution to connect to an Access database that is not
on the same server as PHP. The Access ODBC driver does not seem to work in
that case (I can create a DSN to a mdb on the local drive and successfuly
connect to it. However, I cannot do the same if the DSN point to another
server.).

I've read quite a bit on the ADO solution. I am not yet familiar with ADO.
How much overhead would that solution bring with it? Is it a good solution
if PHP and the mdb are not on the same server (network access, security,
etc...)?

Thanks in advance,

Pascal