Password Encryption Issues

Hello all,

This is kinda hard to explain, but I am having a problem with pass
encryption/decryption stuff. I had a section of my website protected by a
cookie-based log in that authenticates from a database (mySQL) of user/pass
combinations...  anyway, I am moving that website from one server to
another... The username and password are exactly the same in the new DB as
it was in the old one... and of course, I have them encrypted...  but it
wont authenticate because the sql query is spitting out a different
encrypted pass from the login form so when I do the following query: SELECT
id FROM table WHERE ((username = '$username') AND (password =
PASSWORD('$password')) the encrypted password there is different than the
enctypted pass in the DB.

Any help with this would be appreciated! thanks!
-lindsey