Apache runs out of memory using unified odbc to MS SQL

Hi,

Apache 2.0.44 on NT(sp?)
PHP 4.3.1
MS SQLServer 2000 + sp(s) on NT

(Sincere apologies about the choice of platform & DB, working on a UNIX
 solution, burocracy is stifling.)

Using unified ODBC driver to connect to DB (don't want too many hooks into
shitty SQL server).

Problem:  If I do two nested statements, apache runs out of memory and bombs
out.  If I make the statements sequential, this is not a problem.

E.g.

Prepare (get some numbers)
Execute
While ( get id ) {
  Instanciate some object from DB using id
}

The above doesn't work, but if I grab all the numbers into an array and
free the statement handle and then start my new statement, it all works:

Prepare
Execute
while (fetch) {stuff into array};
foreach (array) {stuff new object out of DB into array}

Anyone seen this before?  Bug in unified ODBC or SQLServer?
Note that if I don't properly "free" the statement handles, things get messy
in both cases.

Gerd.