Re: php3 vs php4 mail () function? (help)

In article <20030410011922.59360.qmail@web41206.mail.yahoo.com>,
jusa_98@yahoo.com says...

> Hi all,
>
> I just uploaded my PHP to PHP4 and found mail() does
> not seem to work on my scripts anymore.  :(  This is
> quite a pain as I run a fair few scripts using mail()
> but now they seem to be all broken.  They claim they
> send but they really do not send at all.  So something
> bad has happened or maybe I need to modify the scripts
> to addapt to php4?  It's quite annoying really, I
> thought the update would be smooth with little effect
> on my scripts, that was not the case.
>
> So instead of copying and pasting my script which is
> obviously incorrect and probably outdated for php4 I
> would appreciate someone sending me the code to have
> mail() function correctly via a PHP page.  Now as long
> as they follow my needs (below) I should be able to
> take the code someone emails me and customize it and
> add my details in for it to work for me.  (I hope)  So
> if someone or some people can help me out here it
> would be great.  Please follow my requirements below,
> if you don't I really see no need in you posting any
> code as I need it for what is stated below and not
> snipplets.  Use any named db name, table name as I can
> change these later.
>
> Okay what I need is:
>
> - The code I require is for a PHP page.  It can be a
> form like mail() function where I can enter a message,
> subject or just code that I put in all details within
> the code.
>
> - Email addresses are to be hidden away and only show
> the email address of the person reading it, so not all
> emails listed in the To or CC area for all to see.
>
> - Emails WILL BE fetched off a mysql database.  So a
> query issue is required to fetch all email addresses.
> The email addresses will be placed to be sent
> (probably BCC???) replacing each one with a , and
> removing the trailing , after the last email address.
>
> - I'd prefer a code that has html and plain text
> abilities.  But I think safely I can add $text_message
> to the code and be safe with it to display text on
> email clients that are not HTML?
>
> - Prefer emails to be sent all in one but I want the
> safest way to do this.  So if looping is required than
> let it happen.
>
> So in conclusion I don't need code for a mail.inc file
> or any system file.  Just for my PHP page.   If you
> send me code I will try it and add my values and let
> you know how I get on.  If you wish to see my code I
> used in the previous version of PHP I am glad to pass
> it onto you.  I see no need for it though, appears to
> be outdated with php4.
>
> Thankyou to you in advance for helping me or
> considering in helping.  I'd prefer to recieve code
> that HAS BEEN tested recently and know it works rather
> than code just typed out and hoping it works.

Nothing else you want while we're at it? Before you do anything else, you
might want to check that your new installation of php4 hasn't changed any
vital bits such as php.ini which would screw up your smtp values (assuming

you are using Win) or may have a different value for your sendmail call
(for *nix)

Also, check the return value from mail(), and check your logs for any
problems reported there.

In essence, mail() under php3 is no different to mail under php4.

--
Quod subigo farinam

$email =~ s/oz$/au/o;