Session variables

I am using session variables throughout an application, and every time I
try to log in as someone else after the first time I've logged in, it
uses the userid of the first person that logged in. I know the session
has to be destroyed or something, so I wanted to make a logoff page, but
it is not working. I'm getting an Internal Server Error.
Here is my code for logoff.php:
<?php
session_start();
session_unset();