Offering alternatives in typing mistakes

Hello List,
I'm currently doing a select like statement. No problem with that. But as no
human being is perfect ;-) the input
provided by the user is sometimes full of typing mistakes like informatoin,
or informatin instead of information.
I hope you know what I'm think about. Google offers you an alternative if
google thinks you misspelled.
Now my question, what is an algorithm for finding out which input was
actually meant? I know I'll have to split
the string like first letter than last letter, than second first etc. Is
there a better solution, like taking
the middle? I've already put some thought in it, but I see no reason to
reinvent the wheel again. Has anybody
any better ideas? I'm open to solutions.

thx
Jan Bro