Re-ordering items

Hi all,

I have a table that contains the 'Sort Order' of some stories which are kept in another table. I want to be able to 're-order' these items but I am not sure how to go about this (technique wise).

For example: I have a form with a series of select menus. Each menu represents the position of the story on the page where they are displayed. Each menu has the same list of titles, and I want to use these menus to re-order the display order. So the menus display the titles in the current order, and changing one of the menus - reorders the position in the sort order table.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Charles