Re: PHP for apache logging to mysql

Hi Paul

On 27 Mar,2003 at 12:44 Paul Burney wrote:

<snip>

> Hope that helps. YMMV. TMTOWTDI.

</snip>

It did !!  I had tried a direct pipe, but had neglected the all important semi-colon on the insert !!!

Is this reasonably efficient on your production server ?  Do you have any problems with it ?

Also, how are you dealing with growing table sizes ?  Do you summarise out data to sub tables ?  Or do you limit the date range and periodically dump stuff that is out of range ?

Part of the reason for using Perl / PHP, etc was to allow the log data to be filtered and sorted prior to inserting to the db.  This would then allow automatic summarising so you could maintian host tables, request tables, etc and limit the size of the main transfer log tables.

My approach to the queries thus far has been to keep different 'reports' (which essentially narrow down to individual SQL queries) in a db.  A user picks a report, the SQL is selected and run and the data is then displayed (also playing with JPGraph to produce some nice charts).

Works quite well and means that adding a new 'report' is simply a matter of adding a row in the reports table.

<snip>
> Sincerely,
>
> Paul Burney
> <http://paulburney.com/>