finding out the date of the first day of the current week

I am trying to make a small function that will me the date in Y-m-d of the start of the current week (the sunday) I have only the idea of doing it by making a long drawn out script with if, elseif clauses for every day of the week... and then doing something like

if ( date('D') = "mon" ) {

$sunday = mktime (0,0,0,date("m") ,date("d")-1,date("Y"));

}

does anyone know a simple way to do this