compare php and perl

Can anyone out there compare these two using with mysql and web apps -
What I can gather so far from my limited experience with both and a
little googling:

1. Built in mysql_ functions in php (does perl have this?)
2. Php may be faster.
3. Embedded in html - no separate cgi directory needed.
4. Perl is more mature - more support - more depth to language.

Thx

--
Mignon Hunter
Web Developer