PHP + Interbase / Firebird extensions

This might sound like a daft question, so I apologise :)

I have been asked to link to an existing Firebird / Interbase server and
pull some records via PHP page on our intranet and internet servers.

The problem is, correct me if I am wrong, that I need to recompile PHP to
install the Interbase extesions  ---  this is not going to be fun, as both
machines are under fairly constant load..

Is it possible to simply load the Interbase extensions as a module? If so,
where can I get the source / instructions for compiling / installing this
module?

Platforms: Mandrake Linux 9.0, Redhat Linux 7.2

Many thanks!

Andy Neillans