consistently format large amounts of content

I'm looking for an easy and efficient way to format lots of similar content in a database for easy retrieval and possible ways to alter formatting of all the content in the future using a template.

Basically, the content is knowledgebase type information like articles on a topic, etc. The content (each row of the database) is all formatted simmilarly.

Some ideas I have.
-Use common tages, H1, H2, P, UL, etc. and use CSS against these.
-XML? - don't know anything about this.
-Invent my own tagging system and preprocess the data before it's displayed.

Anyone have experience doing something like this? Should I look into other technologies?

_BB