php & date manupulation functions

Hello,

There seems to be very few date manupulation functions in php.

In my php form I am displaying select combos for day, month and year.

Now while updating the form I want to retrieve the date and take out day,
month and year from that date and display the correct selection in the
combo. I could not find any function like say

day($dbdate);
month($dbdate);
year($dbdate);

Am I missing something ? Is there anyway to accomplish the above ? or I
will have to store these three values separatly in the database rather than
as a date.

Thanks in advance.

Peace

--