Re: efficient next/prev page generation

I think the first item should be COUNT(*), because as you mentioned it would be pretty inefficient to pull all the data just to get a count. In MySQL 4 you can move step 4 to step 1 with a slight modification and leave it at three steps. Lookup the FOUND_ROWS() function to find out all the details. This feature was not available in v3 so you needed to do two queries.

I actually just did what you are trying to do.