Re: Is my Hosting service full of it?

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 01:13:28PM -0500, pthes wrote:

> Here are some claims from the hosting service:
> It is exceptionally PHP and MySQL heavy and unfortunately not the kind of
> application you can safely run in a shared-hosting environment.

It is never safe to allow customers to upload their own scripts in a
shared hosting environment.  I can't count the number of times I've had
to step in and disable an account (or at least a CGI) because a customer
wrote or uploaded something that consumed too many resources.

> So you suggest leaving the db open? What happens when someone bails out
> before the end? Would that then cause another problem?
>
> - You should be able to initiate a db close after a certain amount of time.

Without seeing the code, it's hard to determine what you're doing wrong;
if you're using a CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE, the table will automatically
be deleted shortly after the database connection is closed.  This would
obviously consume memory in the database server for every temporary
table created.

> Are concurrent connects with mysql the problem?
>
> - They certainly don't help. The MySQL server is shared amongst other sites
> on this same server and obviously can only handle so much happening at once.

If you're using mysql_pconnect() to talk to the server, remember that
each persistent connection is tied to just one web server process.  If
the web server has "MaxClients 150" set, then there can be a maximum of
150 persistent database connections, even if there's just one PHP script
opening them all.

> Comment 5: response to I don't believe php is worse than perl
> CGI scripts are called once a form has been completed, the script then runs
> quickly and closes itself. A pHp page May open a connection to mySQL at the
> opening of the page, or later in it: either way instead of having the
> information passed to mysql in a separate place, it is done in the same
> place.
>
> It gives the impression of being more efficient(since a step is skipped) but
> for high traffic operations it can bog down a mySQL server, Especially if it
> is a shared one.

This is legitimate.  I've seen serious degradation of MySQL performance
with much lower load than you're generating, always caused by
programming with a complete lack of regard for the database server's
resource limits.  If you don't know how to make your code more database
friendly, you might want to consider hiring a programmer to do it for
you.  Or if you prefer, spend the money on a dedicated server, and watch
*it* grind to a halt as well.  :)

> I wondering if anyone has an opinion of whether I'm dealing with people who
> don't know what they're doing. Do any of their comments make sense.
> I'd be glad to provide further clarification if desired. I just have a real
> feeling that I'm not getting knowledgable answers.

You are, they do, and you are.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Abuse / Whatever