RE: Remnant data from previous queries when using mysql_fetch_array...

>     I am a novice PHP dev having a strange issue with
mysql_fetch_array.
> For some reason, it is keeping data from previous queries in the
array,
> and
> displaying it in the web page.
>     My development platform is Win2k SP2, Apache 1.3.23, PHP 4.3.0,
> MySQL-MAX 3.23.47-nt.
>     Here is the code that I am using:
>
> <?php
> // open database connection
> $connection = mysql_connect(localhost, username, password) or die
("Unable
> connect!");
>
> // select database
> mysql_select_db(vendorNameChange) or die ("Unable to select
database!");

> // generate and execute query
> $query = "select * from changelog where changedBy = '$changedBy' or
> vendorNumber = '$vendorNumber'
> or oldName like '$oldName' or newName like '$newName' or
newVendorNumber =
> '$newVendorNumber'";
> $result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in query: $query. " .
> mysql_error());
>
> if ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
>
> do {
> print $row["vendorNumber"];
> print "<br>";
> <snip>
> </snip>
> } while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result));
>
> } else {print "Sorry, no records were found!";}
>
> // close database connection
> mysql_close($connection);
>
> ?>
>
>     I am looking for a way to initialize the array, and display only
the
> data returned from the current query on the page.  Any help with this
> would
> be greatly appreciated.

$row = array();

will initialize the $row variable to an empty array. Or you can use
unset($row) to just get rid of it entirely.

The problem isn't with mysql_query(), it's just that $row is retaining
data from a previous loop in your script.

---John W. Holmes...

PHP Architect - A monthly magazine for PHP Professionals. Get your copy
today. http://www.phparch.com/