RE: form field rejection

You could also look at a site like javascript.internet.com and look up a
pre-written phone number validation script and do the validation on the
client side in addition to or instead of doing it on the server side.

One reason you may want to consider doing client-side validation for
something like this is consideration for your users. Not everyone has a DSL
or Cable connection, let alone T1 or T3. If one of your users fills out your
form, hits SUBMIT, then has to wait maybe 60 seconds round trip for the
server to report that the phone number was invalid, they're probably going
to get frustrated. Any time you can get away with client side form
validation, you should use it. Especially if you're backing it up with
server-side validation. It's much more user-friendly.

Server-side validation is good to double-check to make sure the form data
has not been tampered with and is still acceptable by the server and in the
event that the user has disabled JavaScript in the browser. It's also
necessary anytime you have to validate a form entry against a database (e.g.
checking to see if a username already exists on a user account creation
form).