RE: mysql_insert_id() vs. last_insert_id()

So I read this thread and the MySQL doc on mysql_insert_id() and still have
a related question.

Does mysql_insert_id() function on a per-connection basis? I read the stuff
on last_insert_id() and it specifically mentions that the last ID is stored
on the server on a per-connection basis. However, the info on
mysql_insert_id() makes no such specific claim.

The reason I ask is, if you use mysql_insert_id() on a busy server and it
does not function on a per-connection basis, don't you run the risk of
getting the last ID of somebody else's INSERT query on the server?