Re: SQL very fast here & very slow there

I'm not sure how Paradox works, but it may be locking problems you are running into. I know Paradox used to have issues with data changing while a query was executing. On your home machine you are the only one accessing the DB, so there wouldn't be any contention. Your home DB probably hits the cache since the data isn't changing.
How busy is the DB at school?

There is really nothing in your question applicable to PHP. Have you tried a Paradox list?