Cookies problems

Hello people!!! This time I have a problem with cookies. I tried to send a cookie from one page with the function sendcookie("chat",$mail) to a page in another directory, but when I tried to prine echo($chat) or echo($_COOKIE["chat"]) I got notheing. So I put the second page where it was the page that sent the cookie and tried again. This last time I got the cookie in the echo($chat) but not in the echo($_COOKIE["chat"]) I need to send a cookie to a page in another path and I need that the cookie stays in the client browser so I can see if I can recognize him/ her next time he/she enters the chat. Was I clear? Thank you very much for all of your help and time!!! I really appreciate your help in times I'm desesperated like this time :-)