Path string problem

I know (NOW!) that I shouldn't have installed PHP or Apache in a
directory where there is a space in the path string (Like "H:\program
files\,mydir\.) But I really don't want to have to reinstall everthing
to fix the problem.

I'm running PHP with Apache as a local host on my Win XP system, but I
get into trouble when I try to use include_once in my php script for a
page. The file, myfile.php, I want to include is in the SAME directory
as the script file. Is there a way to specify this in the argument for
include_once?

For testing, I added
If (!file_exists("Somepathname/myfile.php")){
    die ("File path is wrong!");}
I've tried many variations on "Somepathname" (with both forward and
backward slashes), but they all fail.

Is there a way out of this mess?

TIA for any help on this.
Robert