RE: Re: Undefined index and variables

Fred,

I don't have much time today, but here is my initial assessment of what
might be going wrong with your page:

You display add.php which draws a form for data.
You submit that form to add.php (itself).
The form redraws inside the page.
You get errors when add.php looks for data in the $HTTP_POST_VARS array
because the page is fresh and that array is empty.

Problem is that there is no code to handle the data that was entered in the
first place. Once you hit submit, the add.php page is (re)drawn in its
original state - with no values in the fields. Therefore, when the
$_POST['varname'] statement looks in $HTTP_POST_VARS, there's nothing to
display so you get the Undefined Index errors. It's almost like refreshing
the page.

My advice would be to separate the code for the data entry and data handling
parts of your project into independent scripts. Use add.php to collect the
data then send the data to a php script called handleAdd.php that gets the
name/value pairs and submits them to the database. After submitting the data
to the database in handleAdd.php, forward the user back to another page
(add.php again, if you want) where they can get some kind of confirmation
the data was entered.

A further recommendation would be to provide the list with the code you gave
to me so maybe somebody else with a little more free time might be able to
assist you further. Sorry I couldn't provide any more help.

Rich