Re: how to grab data from a webpage into my database?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:25:36PM -0600, bo wrote:

> Any idea of how to grab data from a webpage? for example,  how to get data
> such as the info about directed by, actors, language, and the image and so
> on from http://us.imdb.com/Title?0081398 and fill in my own database and
> output it? Just need an idea of achieving the same result.

You probably don't want to get IMDB data this way.  The IMDB is already
available through an API.  Check http://www.imdb.com/interfaces/ for
details.

If your questions is general rather than IMDB-specific, then what you're
looking for is a way to parse HTML files.  And the general answer is
that you have to do it manually.  If you can get predictable output from
some place, then you can write tools to interpret that output.  Better
yet, if you can get the output to populate fields of a form, then you
can use a tool like CGI::Lite et al.  Do a search at CPAN.

I haven't heard of a method for doing this sort of HTML post-processing
in PHP.  If someone else has, I'd love to know more about it.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Abuse / Whatever