From: Damir Dezeljin [mailto:programing@mbss.org]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 1:01 PM
To: PHP-db list
Subject:  QUERY question (group by) - please help

Hi.

Maybe this isn't the correct list for asking the below question (if
so sorry ;) ).

I want to calculate how many rows my MySQL query which uses 'GROUP BY'
returns.

The query:
----
SELECT <something>
    FROM test
    WHERE (kid=1) OR (kid=2) OR (kid=4)
    GROUP BY cid,aid;
----

Is it posible to get number of rows with such a query from MySQL v3.23.49?
If it isn't posible ... is it posible in MySQL 4.x?

I think a lot about this problem and I realize only the following
solution (to avoid returning a lot of rows in PHP):
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE t (i INT);
INSERT INTO t (i) SELECT aid FROM <the_query_above>
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM t;
DROP TABLE t;

But this isn't so elegant.

I want to do so on data generated by: