pls clue in the clueless..:)

Hi all,
I am having a problem that I have not seen in the past and thought to post it here. I am running mysql-3.23.54, php-4.3.0 and apache 1.3.27. Everything seems to install and work correctly...ie stuff like <?php phpinfo() ?> works just fine. Now what is broken is mysql_connect(). I get the following error:
Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /usr/www/htdocs/test.php on line 2

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /usr/www/htdocs/test.php on line 2
Could not connect: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

It is not a passwd or server running issue and the mysql server is running local to the web server. I can use a mysql client to connect to the server just fine. Any ideas? I am wondering if the internal mysql support for php is broken.

Thanks in advance

sroy