MySQL Ques: default for date field be current date

I'm trying to convert an ASP/Access tutorial to PHP/MySQL and have a
question regarding MySQL.

In Access one can create a date field and set the default to "Date()" to get
the current date but according to the mysql manual:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html

> Default values must be constants. This means, for example, that you cannot set
> the default for a date column to be the value of a function such as NOW() or
> CURRENT_DATE.

Is there any other way to have MySQL automate this? I've heard of something
called stored procedures but am unfamiliar. -- Must this be done on the
scripting side?

Thanks,
~ Mike
--
MikeZornek.com
New blog, new Q&A column, new content everywhere!