Apache, PHP and MySQL

I am trying to set up a test server to test updates before changing my
uploaded pages. I have running Windows 98. I have Apache installed and
running, and thought I have PHP installed properly. (Installed it as Welling
and Thomson). However when I try to run my test.php file which should give
phpinfo I get a message telling me that I am downloading a file from
localhost. I presume Apache is not recognising the file type.
I have added .php to the AddType application section of httpd.conf