http/https

can a cookie be valid and be passed to/from --  http and https.  I loose
the values from http -> https.  I can think of ways to fix this, but i
didn't know if there was a way in the basic setting/handling of cookies,
and the manual shows you how to but it says that a 1 for a secure argument
will only be submitted over a secure connection.  can it stay valid over
both?  Am i missing somthing obvious?  I have tried to explicitly set the
secure arg to both 0 and 1 with similar results.

I am running inserts that have the cookie value in it and when the user
moves from http to https the value changes, which it should not.

a little mysql related, a little not.

thanks all.
jeff