mileage calculator

I know a lot of sites, such as car dealerships, where you can put in your
zip code and then you can search for cars within 50,100, etc miles of your
house.  How is this done?  I have a site that we want to implement a feature
like this.  What is stored in the db?  Can I simply write a function using
zipcodes to find distance?  I know you can use latitude and longitude.

Thanks,
Eddie