Re: some data output formatting and grouping question...

Very simple procedurally (though not in SQL).

Here's the pseudo-code:

Execute:
SELECT * FROM Y WHERE U = 'me'
ORDER BY Y, X

$flag  = "last_y" ; // flag indicating whether or not your
mysql_fetch_array() brings a new value of Y
Loop your query result {
    if Y <> $flag['last_y'] {
        // this is a new value of Y: trigger a HTML header row
        // update $flag['last_y'] = Y
    }
    // generate the normal HTML row
}