Single occurance of data

I have two tables in my database with a department name.
One table (department), the name only appears once and it includes all
departments in the school. In the other table, (courses) department can
appear several times, but not all departments will be in the table.

I used the following code to try to get the names of the departments from
the courses table, but unfortunately I get all occurences of the department.
Can someone help me get ony one occurrence of each department from the
courses table.

$query = "select departments.department, courses.department from
departments, courses where departments.department=courses.department";
$result = mysql_query($query);